Saturday, March 22, 2008

Like an Orange on Toothpick

I've been pretty down the last few days and nothing much has happened lately. Yesterday, my face was still feeling pretty huge, and I was feeling a bit like William in So I Married an Axe Murderer.



I've also been worried about how much I don't mind lying in bed with an ice pack over my eyes, listening to Mozart's Requiem in D Minor, which is a bit lachrymose.






I was in danger of becoming Winona Ryder's character from Beetlejuice ("I am alone...[crumble paper] I am utterly alone. My life is a dark room. One big dark room")--some kind of goth emo kid, so I made myself watch Eddie Izzard's Dress to Kill to get cheered up.








Here I am yesterday (left), in the course of doing absolutely nothing except for dealing with some gross peeling on my less-swollen eyelids and blood in my nose that you really don't want to hear about. Breathing through my nose is a bit easier today, but I'm still mainly breathing through my mouth. Since I can't properly blow my nose and I don't want to risk pulling out stitches, I'm still kind of stuffy.


Today was a bit more exciting. Being as how I have a whole bunch of people coming over for Easter, it behooved me to get my hair washed, which hasn't been since Tuesday (completely appalling). Here I am (right) with clean hair at Clyde's, where Mom and I got lunch afterwards. Although I know for a fact that people stare at me (apparently only the Harris Teeter gets regular visits from rhinoplasty patients), I'm pretty convinced that they were sending the entire waitstaff over to our table. I've never had THAT many different people bring food, drinks, a new spoon, etc., to my table. Mom said that they a couple of waiters were talking about cosmetic surgery in the hall when she got up to go to the ladies' room. Really now, people. I worked in a restaurant one summer, I know I can't be the biggest weirdo to come in the joint.

We went to the CVS which happened to be clearing out a brand of cover-up makeup called Couvrance and I bought their yellow concealer stick ($4.50), which is supposed to neutralize the blue tones in bruises, and compact foundation cream ($5.50). I'm not terribly impressed with this makeup--I usually use L'Oreal True Match--and really it didn't do much of a better job than the regular, ordinary L'Oreal foundation and concealer that I already had. Here I am (left) with some makeup on so I didn't look so shocking while we went out for supplies for Easter dinner. I'm not sure if I want to invest in the Dermablend stuff; we'll see how the bruises are by the time I go back to work.
I'm still pretty tired today, but it's getting better, even though I'm still kind of spacey. I was making a pavlova and nearly stuck it in the oven without half the ingredients. I'm not sure I can blame that on the anaesthesia any more.
What's a pavlova, you ask? I'm so glad you did. I'm not sure I can blame my puffiness on swelling so much any more, either. Head! Move!

No comments: