Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

Ahhhh!!! Big miracles, little miracles today. Although I didn't rise from the dead (only seems like it), today is a much better day. I didn't want to scare all my friends at Easter dinner, so I put on some makeup and did my hair and put on proper clothes today. Here's Mom and me (so you can finally see her nose!)--I'm not looking so dead today! My face is less puffy, nose is less piggy, and bruises a little softer (broken blood vessels still there, though).

Nearly everyone at dinner is a blog reader or has been by to visit already, and they all thought I looked A LOT better than the other pictures through the week. I'm looking at the picture of me smiling--hoorah! My lip doesn't curl under like I should be gumming my food! I didn't tell you folks, it was really a minor thing, but my upper lip was so swollen, the inside of my lip swelled into the space between my front teeth. I'll square with you--my four front teeth are covered in bonding, so they aren't real, either (yeah, I know, I'm on the road to becoming Joan Rivers), and my dentist was fantastic, so there isn't a lot of space there, but the skin actually managed to get wedged in there. I could actually feel it with my tongue.

Here are some of my dinner guests and blog readers, John, Christina, Shari, my roommate Stacey, and my mom (sorry Liz, Apes, Suhail, and Michael--you could have made the blog if you'd have stayed later!)
So Mom goes back to Florida in the morning, and then the splint comes off at 8:15. Doc is on vacation, so one of his partners will remove it. The weird thing is, I'm not so sure I'm happy to have the splint off--not because I enjoy the attention in restaurants and grocery stores, but because I'm so damned klutzy. I feel like I need a retainer for my nose--maybe a Groucho Marx nose. The other morning, I whacked myself on the tip of the nose while I was still groggy and YEEEEOWWWW did that hurt! I read that the bones aren't really supposed to be solid until about a month after surgery and I'm frightened to death of ending up with a crooked nose from just doing something dumb.

Crazy story: Right before surgery, when Doc came in to talk to Mom and me, Mom asked about the sunglasses prohibition (not wearing sunglasses is anathema to Mom--BIG sunglasses to keep any errant ray of light from inciting a crow's foot). Doc said I could wear the sunglasses in six weeks and if I wore glasses at all, I needed to tape them to my forehead. He had a patient who had had a crooked nose that he fixed who went back to wearing his old glasses, came in a few weeks later, and his nose was crooked again! It turned out that his old glasses were fitted for his crooked nose and had made his nose shift back to the old position! I didn't ask him if he had to get it done over again, sorry.
Anyhow...I've leave you all with some pretty pictures of a really lovely Easter lily that Shari brought for me, and some really astounding roses that John brought--the photos really don't do them justice! Thank you, guys!

No comments: