Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Number 12 Looks Just Like You


"So what kind are you going to get?"

"Well, I mean, it's going to be MY nose, only smaller."

This is the most frequent comment after, "but you don't need a nose job!" since I've been telling the world that I'm getting my nose done (no, I'm not keeping it a secret: I think everyone might be tipped off when I go around with a bruised-up face...What am I going to say? I ran into a door? My name is Luka?).

The Twilight Zone had an episode that I loved where they posited that, in the future (the year 2000), everyone would have to go through "The Transformation"--a radical change in appearance and, as it turned out, personality--in order to become beautiful, and everyone picked from a certain number of models with little deviation.

To clarify: when you go to the plastic surgeon, he doesn't toss the J.C. Penney catalogue of noses at you. I guess some people cut out photographs of noses they admire, but I'm not interested in approaching my plastic surgery like the doc and I are playing with Mrs. Potato Head.

Doc and I talked about aesthetics during my consultation. My nose, as it happens, has a perfect nasolabial angle (way to go, genes!), which is the angle between your nose and your upper lip. For women, it's supposed to be 110 degrees, give or take. He's planning on shaving down the wee bump I have and narrowing the upper third part (which I think involves breaking my nose; I was hoping to avoid that, but oh, well. I forgot to ask for clarification while I was in there) and defining the tip. I didn't even think about the tip thing; that never really bothered me so much, it's just that my nose is so....wide!

Anyway, folks, my point is, we don't just slap on nose #23.

No comments: